Epiphytes, more commonly know as ‘Air Plants,’ are in the Bromeliad family, genus Tillandsia. There are over 500 species of Air Plants. Native to Central & South America, as well as the West Indies, they often live nestled in treetops amongst orchids & ferns. These intriguing beauties are called ‘Air Plants’ because they do not root in soil & acquire all their nutrients for survival from the air.
Expert Care Tips:
Air plants need a soaking 1-2
times week. 2-3 times a week in the heat of Summer.
· To water, completely submerge the plant in a cup, sink, or bowl of water for a few hours or overnight.
· Do shake off excess water after watering.
· Allow at least 24 hours to pass before soaking/watering your plant again to prevent rotting.
· Turn the plant upside-down to dry. Make sure it is completely dry before putting it back in the display.
· You may trim away any brown, dried or broken leaves. You may also trim the roots if they are preventing your plant from fitting into the container or are unsightly.
· Avoid soaking any flowers while in bloom to extend the life of the blooming flower.
· Leave pups (babies) on mother plants until they are at least half the size of the mother plant.
· AIR PLANT 911: Don't throw away your plant if there is any green left in the leaves. Soak them for 24 hours.
· If you are going out of town give them an overnight soaking before you leave.
A good rule of the thumb: Remember back to what your plant looked like after a good soaking. If it has
lost that happy healthy vibrant look, soak it for 30 minutes to an
hour, shake, allow to fully dry.
Reason Air Plants Die:
And finally, remember air plants are hearty and resilient little charmers, these tips above are expect care tips, so if you miss a watering or two just pick up where you left off and your plant is sure to spring back to life.
*REPLACEMENT PLANTS: Made a mistake and found there is no turning back? Email email@example.com for a discount on a replacement plant. This special discounted offer is for previous customers of RobinCharlotte air plants only.